Say hello to your new favorite healthy roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon recipe.
Make this healthy roasted brussels sprouts with bacon recipe, and you won’t need another recipe. This one is easy to make, delicious, and everyone in the family loves it, which makes a great side dish for the holiday season. Talking about holiday dinner, check this massaged kale salad. You’re going to impress more than one of your guests.
I know Brussel sprouts aren’t one of the most loved vegetables out there, but when they are cook to perfection, they are delicious, and you get hooked on them.
You can find the full recipe for this roasted Brussel sprouts and bacon in the recipe card at the end of this post, but if you want some tips and more detail on how to make this recipe keep reading.
What ingredients do you need for
this healthy roasted brussels sprouts with bacon recipe.
To make this recipe, you’ll need:
- Halved brussels sprouts: When split, they cook evenly and have that beautiful golden brown that everyone loves.
- Maple syrup, optional: Maple syrup adds the touch of sweetness to enhance the flavor of the sprouts
- Cooked smoked bacon, low sodium: To keep this recipe healthy, we won’t be using the fat from the bacon and low sodium if you’re following a low sodium diet.
- Dried cranberries: This adds the perfect touch of color and festive to the dish along with a sour flavor.
- Chopped pecan: This is the perfect amount of nutty and crunchy you need in this dish.
How to make this healthy roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon recipe?
Step 1: Preheat oven at 425F line a baking sheet with parchment paper; if you don’t have parchment paper on hand, you can use aluminum foil if that what you have.
In a large bowl, toss together the sprouts and olive oil, season with salt and pepper if you like. Most of the time, I don’t add salt to veggies, because I want to keep them low sodium, and I love the natural flavor and sweetness
Step 2: Arrange the Brussel sprouts in a single layer in the baking sheet. This one is crucial if you want beautiful golden brown roasted Brussel sprouts but also if you want them to cook evenly.
Roast for 25 minutes or until sprouts
If you’re making this healthy roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon recipe for the holiday, you can serve the maple syrup on the side. Those that don’t like sweet sprouts are going to thank you!
Step 3: Transfer to a serving plate, add the cooked bacon, pecan, and dried cranberries. If you have an oval plate, serve on it because they look prettier, and people can’t overlook them. Arrange the bacon, pecan, and dried cranberries to your taste.
When are brussels sprouts in season?
We can find brussels sprouts all-year-round. But,
How healthy are brussels sprouts?
Brussels sprouts are very healthy, considering the low amount of calories, the unbelievable amount of nutrients, and their anti-cancer properties they have.
Half cup of cooked Brussel sprouts has 28 calories, 2grms of fiber, and it is an excellent source of vitamin K and A. They’re packed with other nutrients like folate, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, manganese and thiamin. As part of the cruciferous vegetable family (cabbage family) helps reduce the risk of cancer.
How to cook brussels sprout healthy?
Some of the healthy ways to cook brussels sprouts are; steamed, roasted, or boiled. But these veggies make an excellent base for casseroles and salad or simple as a hearty and healthy side dish, like this healthy recipe. You definitely cannot go wrong either way when you’re cooking Brussel sprouts
How to prepare brussels sprouts for roasting?
Here are some tips on how to prepare your brussels sprouts before roasting
- Slice the stem from the sprouts and discard, also remove and discard any yellowed outer leaves.
- Cut them in half lengthwise, in a large bowl, toss together the brussel sprouts and add olive oil or cooking spray, season as you like.
- Arrange the brussels sprouts in a lined baking sheet with parchment paper in a single layer.
- If the sprouts are too small, leave them whole
- Don’t overcook the brussels sprouts or they’ll lose their firm crunchiness
- Use a good baking sheet. I love this baking sheet and can’t recommend it enough
I hope you enjoy this healthy roasted brussel sprout with bacon recipe with all your loved ones. If you make this recipe, don’t forget to come back and leave a start or review, and if you take a pic of it, we would love to see it, so please share it with us on Pinterest or tag me on Instagram.
- 36 oz halved brussels sprouts
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup, optional
- ½ cup cooked smoked bacon, low sodium
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped pecan
- Preheat oven at 425F line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a large bowl, toss together the brussels sprouts and olive oil, season with salt and pepper if you like.
- In the baking sheet, arrange the brussels sprouts in a single layer. Roast 25 minutes or until brussels sprouts are golden brown, stirring halfway through. If using maple syrup drizzle with maple syrup, roast another 10 minutes until brussels sprouts are tender.
- Transfer to a serving plate, add the cooked bacon, pecan, and dried cranberries.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 9g