Make at home this delicious and fancy looking chicken piccata in the instant pot to save time and, of course, less cleaning and much tender chicken meat.
This healthy instant pot chicken piccata is one of those recipes you want to include in your weeknight meal plan every week. To keep this instant pot chicken piccata healthy, we won’t be using any flour and cheese to coat the chicken breast. To keep the calories
Maybe you’re now wondering about the ingredients this healthy instant pot chicken piccata has.
If you want the full list of ingredients and instructions, you’ll find them at the end of this post on the recipe card. But if you want more details and the answer to some questions you may have to keep reading.
What is chicken piccata
Chicken piccata is a classic Italian dish of thin slices of meat that are sautéed and served with a wine, lemon and capers sauce.
What Ingredients this healthy instant pot chicken piccata has
Chicken breast: for this recipe, we’re using chicken breast cut in half lengthwise.
Salt and pepper to taste: keep the amount of salt low because this dish doesn’t need a lot.
Olive oil: We’re using the olive oil to seal the chicken breast in the instant pot.
Minced Garlic: The garlic in this recipe will add so much flavor to the sauce.
Unsalted chicken broth or stock. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t have sodium because it still has, so make sure to look for the amount of sodium on the nutrition label.
Dry white wine: Most Italian recipe call for wine and I love regular dry wine when cooking for a much deeper flavor.
Capers: Don’t feel intimidated by them, they add so much flavor to the recipe, and the regular ones are a little high in sodium, but you can get lower in sodium here.
Lemon juice: Add the acidity this instant pot chicken piccata needs
Parsley: The parsley here will add the touch of green color to the dish and the flavor of the fresh herb.
How to make chicken piccata in the instant pot?
Step 1. Cut chicken breast in half if you don’t have thin chicken breast, pat dry with paper towel; season with salt and pepper, be careful with the amount of salt.
Step 2. Please turn on the saute function on the instant pot and add olive oil; when it is hot, place the chicken breast and brown on both sides. Set aside.
Step 3. Add minced garlic and saute for 20 seconds, add chicken broth or stock to deglaze the pot; add dry white wine, capers, lemon juice, and chicken breast, turn off the saute function.
Step 4. Lock the lid and turn on the pressure function on the instant pot (or pressure cooker) on manual for 5 minutes of high pressure.
Step 5. Let the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes before continuing by a quick release, remove the chicken, and set aside.
Step 6. Press the saute button again, and let the sauce reduce for a few minutes, add the chicken back, parsley, and some slices of lemon for garnish.
thicken instant pot chicken piccata
If you want a thicker sauce of the chicken piccata follows these simple steps. Please note this is going to change the color of the sauce.
1) Remove the chicken breast from the sauce
2) Add 3 Tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour into a small mixing bowl and combine with ¼ cup of the piccata sauce and water to your liking.
3) Pour the corn starch mixture into the sauce. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes before turning off the pot.
4) Finally, add chopped parsley and the chicken pieces.
5) Serve with a side of your choice.
What to serve with chicken piccata?
- Orzo or Chickpea rice
- Mashed Potatoes or Mashed cauliflower
- Angel Hair or
- Rice or veggies rice
- Sauteed Zucchini
Other delicious and healthy instant pot recipes
How to slice chicken breast for piccata?
Place one hand flat on top of a chicken breast and, holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, slice it horizontally from the thick end to the thin end of the chicken breast.
Can you freeze instant pot chicken piccata?
Yes, you can freeze this instant pot chicken piccata recipe if you’re not planning on eating your chicken piccata the next day.
How to freeze chicken piccata?
To freeze chicken piccata, follow these steps.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and place it in a freezer bag.
- Remove lemon slices if using, then place the sauce in a separate freezer bag.
- Try to avoid freezing the sauce and the chicken together, if you don’t want to ruin your chicken.
How to reheat instant pot chicken piccata?
Remove the chicken from the bag and place it in the instant pot.
Pour the sauce from the bag into the instant pot
Add ¼ or ⅓ cup of chicken stock or broth
Lock the lid and turn on the pressure function on the instant pot (or pressure cooker) on manual for 1-minute high pressure.
How long does chicken piccata last?
It can last 3 days in the fridge, and up to a month in the freezer.
Is chicken piccata healthy?
A serving of chicken piccata in a restaurant contain nearly 1,400 calories and a lot of saturated fat. But this chicken piccata recipe is healthy because we’re not using any flour, no butter, and no cheese.
All the fantastic flavor of this healthy chicken piccata is in this dish. This recipe is made with whole ingredients, unsalted broth, and low sodium carpers; with that being said, this recipe is gluten-free,, and whole30 too.
- 2 Chicken breast
- low sodium pink Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup unsalted chicken broth or stock
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup low sodium carpers, rinsed and drained
- Juice from one lemon
- Lemon slices for garnish
- 2 Tablespoon parsley, for garnish
- Cut chicken breast in half if you don’t have thin chicken breast, pat dry with paper towel; season with salt and pepper, (be careful with the amount of salt).
- Turn on the saute function on the instant pot and add olive oil; when it is hot, place the chicken breast and brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Add minced garlic and saute for 20 seconds, add chicken broth or stock to deglaze the pot; add dry white wine, capers, lemon juice, and chicken breast, turn off the saute function.
- Lock the lid and turn on the pressure function on the instant pot (or pressure cooker) on manual for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before continuing by a quick release, remove the chicken, and set aside.
- Press the saute button again, and let the sauce reduce for a few minutes, add the chicken back, parsley, and some slices of lemon for garnish.
- Serve with a side of your choice.
- If you don't know which wine to buy I use Chardonnay, but you can also get Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- Check the post for how to slice the chicken if you don't know-how.
- You can add one more chicken breast without changing the recipe.
- The instruction on how to thicken the sauce is on the post above.
- Salt isn't calculated in the nutritional label.
- Some options for side dishes mentioned in the post as well.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 219Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 20g
Nutrition information is an estimate.
I hope you enjoy this pressure-cooked chicken