Air Fryer cajun chicken drumsticks recipe is deliciously crispy outside and tender inside, using cajun seasoning to add the smoky, spicy flavor and cooked in less than 30 minutes.
This cajun chicken drumsticks air fryer recipe guarantees crispy, spicy skin combined with juicy meat. Ready in under 30 minutes and effortless to prepare, this is an excellent option for people who love delicious food but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen!
The best drumsticks have browned, flavorful skin and tender meat. Air fried drumsticks are cooked by passing hot air all around them, which means the meat cooks evenly and retains moisture, while the skin chars beautifully.
Cajun chicken drumsticks have a gorgeous combination of spicy cayenne and paprika, balanced by earthy garlic, onion, and herbs. They are lovely served with potato wedges, rice, or a crisp, fresh salad.
Ingredients you’ll need to make cajun chicken legs.
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
Chicken drumsticks - the drumstick is the lower part of the chicken leg, sold bone-in and skin-on so that you can enjoy flavorful chicken skin alongside the tender meat.
Cajun seasoning - you can buy cajun seasoning pre-made in most grocery stores. Alternatively, you can make your own blend by combining paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano. If you don’t like the sound of cajun seasoning, this recipe also works well with old bay or creole seasoning.
Olive oil - you’ll only need a little to ensure the spice sticks to the chicken, making this a much healthier way to make chicken drumsticks than others!
How to make cajun chicken drumsticks in the air fryer
Place the chicken legs in a large bowl or baking sheet; pat dry chicken drumsticks with a paper towel, and rub olive oil all over the legs. Add the cajun seasoning and rub all around the chicken drumsticks, including underneath the skin.
Place the chicken drumsticks in the air fryer basket and cook to 370ºF for 22 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through or until an instant meat thermometer reaches 165ºF. Serve and enjoy!
- To add more flavor to the meat, ensure to season underneath the skin of each drumstick.
- Use an instant meat thermometer to ensure the meat is safe to eat; cook them until the internal temperature registers 165ºF in the thickest part of the drumsticks without touching the bone.
- Store leftover meat in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 4 months in the freezer.
- To reheat in the air fryer, set the temperature to 350ºF and reheat for 5-6 minutes, turning halfway.
How long do you cook cajun chicken drumsticks in an air fryer?
It usually takes between 22 and 25 minutes to cook cajun chicken air fryer at 370°F, but the time will vary depending on the size of the drumsticks you’re using and on your air fryer.
To ensure that your chicken has reached a safe internal temperature, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat and check the temperature is at least 165°F.
What to serve with cajun chicken
These other options you can make in the air fryer as well.
- Air fryer baked sweet potatoes
- Green beans in the air fryer
- Bacon-wrapped asparagus in the air fryer
- Air fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
How to store cooked chicken legs
The leftovers from this cajun drumsticks recipe keep well in the fridge or freezer, so this meal is perfect for making ahead! If you want to store them, seal them in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and move them to the fridge or freezer within 2 hours of cooking.
If cooked chicken is refrigerated, it will keep for three to four days and up to four months if frozen.
How to reheat spicy chicken in air fryer
Reheating spicy chicken air fryer is super quick and easy! Simply pre-heat your air fryer to 400°F and lay the chicken out in a single layer. Heat for 5-6 minutes, flipping once during the cooking time.
If your chicken drumstick is frozen, you will need to increase the time to 10-12 minutes.
Before serving, use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken to check that the meat has reached a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
This cajun chicken legs recipe is reasonably spicy as cajun seasoning contains both paprika and cayenne pepper.
If you want a spicier flavor, you can add extra chili! If you prefer less spice, then making your own seasoning without the cayenne will tone it down a little - or you can serve up your chicken with cooling soured cream.
Chicken drumsticks are a great source of protein, which will help you to feel full for longer. They also contain essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6, phosphorus, iron, and zinc.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes you'll Love
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- BBQ Chicken Legs In Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer Grilled Chicken Breast Recipe
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Air Fryer Recipe
- 5-6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Place the chicken legs in a large bowl or baking sheet; pat dry chicken drumsticks with a paper towel, rub olive oil all over the legs. Add the cajun seasoning and rub all around the chicken drumsticks including underneath the skin.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in the air fryer basket and cook to 370ºF for 22 to 25 minutes turning halfway through, or until an instant meat thermometer reaches 165ºF. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 199mgSodium: 779mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 41g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.