Fluffy and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, this Air Fryer whole sweet potato recipe is the perfect side to serve with any dish.
Why heat your entire oven just for one or two sweet potatoes when you can make delicious air fryer whole sweet potato so easily! The potato's natural sweetness is balanced beautifully by adding a little melted butter and a sprinkling of chives.
Cooking sweet potatoes in the air fryer will take less time and energy than using a traditional oven. So not only will your potatoes be cooked to perfection, you’ll be saving money, too!
This simple method for cooking sweet potatoes in air fryer uses only two ingredients, sweet potatoes and a small amount of olive oil. As a result, you’ll use much less oil than cooking potatoes in the oven.
The air fryer cooks potatoes to perfection with little supervision, making this the perfect low-effort, high reward recipe for a busy weeknight.
"As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
How to cook sweet potatoes in air fryer
Cooking sweet potatoes in the air fryer is very easy to make and the result is creamy and perfectly cooked baked sweet potato in the air fryer.
First: wash and pat dry the potatoes; using a fork poke some holes in the sweet potatoes and rub with olive oil.
Next: place the whole sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 400ºF for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Remove from the basket and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Finally: split the potatoes down in the middle and add the butter and sprinkle chives or serve to your liking.
- The key to cooking whole sweet potatoes in air fryer is choosing the right potatoes. Long, slim potatoes will cook more evenly, and be sure to select potatoes that are the same size, so they cook in the same amount of time.
- Poking your potatoes to pierce the skin a few times before putting them in the air fryer will prevent them from bursting.
- Always scrub your potatoes using a stiff brush before cooking them to remove any dirt. They do grow in the ground, so it’s important not to miss this step!
How long to cook sweet potato in air fryer
It takes around 40 minutes at 400°F to air fry sweet potato whole. The exact timing will depend on the size of the potato.
You can check to see whether your potato is done by poking it with a fork - if the fork easily passes through the flesh and it feels tender, then it’s done. If not, give it a little longer.
What to serve with sweet potatoes
Roasted whole sweet potatoes air fryer recipe is a tasty and straightforward way to create a healthy and delicious dinner!
While you’ve got the air fryer running, you might want to try making these BBQ chicken legs in air fryer recipe and these simple air fryer green beans to go with your potatoes.
How to store roasted whole sweet potatoes
Put your leftovers in an airtight container and transfer them to the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or you can freeze for up to three months.
How to reheat sweet potatoes
If you know you’ve got a busy day coming, try cooking them in an air fryer ahead of time and then reheating on the day.
- In the microwave: Cook for 2-3 minutes on high until piping hot.
- In the air fryer: Reheating your potatoes in the air fryer is a sure way to get them nice and crispy! Turn your air fryer to 400°F and heat for 3-4 minutes.
- On the stovetop: Heat some water in a saute pan over medium-high heat, add the potato, and heat until warmed through.
- In the oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Can you freeze a whole sweet potato?
You can! Keeping a cooked sweet potato in the freezer is a great way to have a quick and healthy meal ready to go whenever you need it.
They will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Do you need to soak sweet potatoes before air frying?
No, you don’t. Sweet potatoes have a much lower starch content than regular potatoes, so there’s no need to soak them.
How to know when the sweet potato is done?
You can tell when it is done by poking it with a fork. If the fork easily passes through the flesh and it feels tender, then it’s done.
What are good toppings for a whole sweet potato?
This air fry sweet potato recipe doesn’t need much added to it; a small helping of melted butter and chopped chive, and it’s ready to eat!
However, like any potato, it’s delicious with savory toppings like:
- Chili (meat or vegetable)
- BBQ pulled pork
- Instant pot turkey thighs stew
- Butter and crumbled bacon
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Simple Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes Recipe
- Best Air Fryer Baby Potatoes Recipe
- Buffalo Cauliflower Air Fryer Recipe (Without Flour)
- Air Fryer Plantain Chips Recipe (Banana Chips)
- Healthy Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan Recipe (No Breading)
- How To Cook Cornish Hen In Air Fryer
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Wash and pat dry the potatoes; using a fork, poke some holes in the sweet potatoes and rub with olive oil.
- Place the whole sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 400ºF for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Remove from the basket and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Split the potatoes down in the middle, add the butter, and sprinkle chives or serve to your liking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 2g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.