This easy and delicious smashed potatoes air fryer recipe gives you the crispiest potatoes! Perfect for a side dish or served as part of an appetizer spread.
If you love potatoes and you’re looking for a new way to cook them, look no further than these air fryer smashed potatoes! Crispy, delicious, and without added fat is the perfect healthy side dish.
Gently seasoned with garlic, thyme, and rosemary, these smashed potatoes have exquisite flavors. And cooking them in the air fryer gives them a beautifully crisp finish while keeping the insides fluffy and light.
Unlike many other recipes for fried potatoes, these smashed potatoes air fryer don’t need much oil. Less oil means less fat, which is excellent news for those looking for a healthy dinner option.
Ingredients you’ll need to make air fryer smashed potatoes
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
Baby potatoes. I use baby potatoes for this recipe because their skin is thinner than other kinds of potatoes, meaning that it often flakes off in places. Perfect for creating those lovely crunchy bits in the air fryer!
Garlic, rosemary, and thyme. This combination gives your smashed baby potatoes air fryer a wonderfully earthy, slightly sweet, and fresh taste. Try replacing the rosemary with smoked paprika if you prefer a smoky flavor.
How to make smashed potatoes in air fryer?
Scrub the potatoes with a potato brush to clean the skin very well. Add the potatoes to a pot and fill it with water, covering one inch above them. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until just tender, around 17 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a sheet pan or cutting board to cool down until easy to handle. Use the bottom of a jar or smooth side of a meat mallet to smash the potatoes (don’t over smash).
Transfer the smashed potatoes to the air fryer basket in a single layer, spritz with oil, and air fry to 400ºF for 15 minutes; top with the garlic herb oil and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until desired crispiness.
How long to cook smashed potatoes in air fryer
Before putting your smashed potatoes in air fryer, you will need to cook them in boiling water for about 17 minutes until just tender. They’re ready to go in the air fryer when you can easily pierce them with a fork.
Once boiled, the potatoes will need another 18-20 minutes in the air fryer to make sure they’re nice and crispy.
What to have with smashed potatoes
How to store smashed potatoes
Smash potatoes air fryer store well in the fridge or freezer, so you might want to make a batch so you have some ready next time you want a quick meal!
They will keep in the fridge for up to four days and for three months in the freezer.
Always store them in an airtight container in the fridge, and ensure that they are wrapped securely if you are freezing them to avoid freezer burn.
How to reheat smashed potatoes in the air fryer
Begin by preheating your air fryer to 380°F and spritzing your potatoes with olive oil. Then, heat them for around 5 minutes until they are hot through. Don’t forget to shake them around partway through.
If you are heating from frozen, you’ll need to increase the cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
When making smashed potatoes, you will need to boil your potatoes for about 17 minutes until they are tender before smashing them and transferring them to the air fryer to go crispy.
The exact time will depend on how big your potatoes are, so always check them by piercing them with a fork.
To make air fryer smashed baby potatoes, you first need to boil your potatoes until they are tender. Then, use a meat mallet or the bottom of a thick glass jar to smash them!
Finally, transfer them to the air fryer to go crispy.
That depends on how you make them! This recipe only uses a little olive oil, which means it is lower in fat than other recipes.
Potatoes are also a good source of fiber, Vitamin C, B6, potassium and calcium, magnesium, and phosphate.
More Air Fryer Potatoes Recipes you'll love
- Japanese Sweet Potato Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potato Recipe
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes Recipe
- Simple Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1.5-pound baby potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- oil prayer bottle
- Scrub the potatoes with a potato brush to clean the skin very well. Add the potatoes in a pot and fill it with water covering one inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until just tender, around 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a sheet pan or cutting board to cool down until easy to handle. Use the bottom of a jar or smooth side of a meat mallet to smash the potatoes (don’t over smash).
- Transfer the smashed potatoes to the air fryer basket in a single layer spritz with oil and air fry to 400ºF for 15 minutes top with the garlic herb oil and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- You can opt to roast the whole potatoes in the air fryer if you don't want to boil them.
- To get very crispy smashed potatoes, cook longer before adding the garlic herb.
- Leave some room for the hot air to circulate the potatoes in the air fryer basket.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.