This juicy air fryer porterhouse steak recipe is tender, delicious, and full of flavor, highlighted by the combination of fresh herbs and garlic. Ready in less than 15 minutes and cooked to perfection every time.
The air fryer is the easiest way to ensure a beautifully cooked porterhouse. This air fryer porterhouse steak is flavored with garlic and herb butter, accentuating the flavors of the steak and adding a richness that you will love.
Cooking porterhouse steak in the air fryer ensures that all juices get sealed, ensuring tender steak. Adding the garlic and herb butter takes the texture to the next level and adds terrific flavors.
It can be nerve-racking cooking porterhouse steak! It’s more expensive than other cuts of meat, so it’s essential to make sure you get it right. Using the air fryer is the best way to do this because it ensures that the steak retains its texture and flavor, and you don’t run the risk of drying it out like you can on the grill or burning it like you can on the stovetop.
Ingredients you’ll need to make steaks in the air fryer.
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
- Porterhouse steak: if you want to guarantee a juicy porterhouse steak, make sure you bring it to room temperature before you start cooking. If the meat is at room temperature, it cooks through quickly and doesn’t lose moisture in the process.
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter - make sure you bring your butter to room temperature before starting, as this will make it easier to coat the steak.
- Garlic cloves
- Thyme, rosemary, and parsley (for the herb butter). If you don’t have or don’t like thyme, rosemary, or parsley, this recipe also works with a mix of coriander, paprika, onion powder, and oregano in its place.
- Salt and pepper
How to cook porterhouse steak in air fryer
First, preheat the air fryer to 400ºF for 5 minutes. Combine butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and parsley in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Next, pat dry steak on both sides with a paper towel, rub olive oil all over the steak, and season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides.
Then, place the Porterhouse steak in the preheated air fryer basket and cook to 400ºF for 6 minutes on one side. Flip over and add half of the herb butter on the steak and cook for another 4 minutes or until cooked to your preferred doneness.
Finally, remove the steak from the air fryer when it has reached the desired temperature, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining herb butter. Enjoy!
How long to cook porterhouse steak in an air fryer
It usually takes about 10 minutes to cook your porterhouse steak air fryer, depending on the size of your steak and how well done you like it.
Your best bet is to use a meat thermometer to check that your steak has reached the correct internal temperature:
- Medium rare 130ºF
- For Medium 140ºF
- Medium well 150ºF
- Well done 160ºF +
What to serve with porterhouse steak
Your porterhouse air fryer is the perfect entree; it’s simple to make and delicious and satisfying to eat!
It’s gorgeous served with fluffy, crispy air fryer whole sweet potato and beautifully sweet instant pot corn on the cob and a little butter. Some air fryer asparagus or air fried green beans are perfect with steaks.
How to store cooked steaks
Your air fryer porterhouse steak will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and three months in the freezer. However, it’s not a good idea to keep it for longer than three months, as the meat can start to dry out and lose its flavor.
When storing, always ensure that you keep them in airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bags.
How to reheat steaks in the air fryer
To reheat porterhouse steak in the air fryer, begin by preheating it to 350°F.
The great thing about the air fryer is that you don’t need to defrost the steak first, so pop it in as soon as the air fryer reaches temperature, and then cook for around five minutes.
The cook time will depend on the size of the steak and your air fryer, so always use a meat thermometer to check that it’s reached the correct internal temperature before serving.
Cooked to Medium rare 130ºF
Medium well 150ºF
For Well done 160ºF +
Is steak good in the air fryer?
So good! The air fryer is the best way to cook a porterhouse steak because it cooks the meat quickly, retains the juices, and stays nice and tender. Yum!
Do you need to flip the steak in the air fryer?
Yes, you’ll need to flip your steak once, about halfway through the cooking time, to ensure that the meat cooks evenly all over.
More air fryer steak recipes you'll love
- Air Fryer Swordfish Steaks Recipe
- Perfect Air Fryer Ribeye Steak Recipe
- Air Fryer Steak Bites Recipe
- Air Fryer Tuna Steaks Recipe
- 1 (20 ounces) Porterhouse steak 1 inch thick, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF for 5 minutes. Mix butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and parsley in a small bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pat dry the porterhouse steak on both sides with a paper towel, rub olive oil all over the steak, and season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides.
- Place the Porterhouse steak in the preheated air fryer basket and cook to 400ºF for 6 minutes on one side. Flip over and add half of the herb butter on top of the steak and cook for another 4 minutes or until cooked to your preferred doneness using an instant meat thermometer.
Medium rare 130ºF
Medium well 150ºF
Well done 160ºF +
4. Remove the steak from the air fryer when it has reached the desired temperature, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining herb butter. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 10 oz. each
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 29g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.