This Instant Pot asparagus soup recipe combines healthy broth, bright asparagus, and earthy herbs for the best creamy soup to make any time of the year.
There’s so much to love about this healthy soup, from its vibrant color and creamy consistency to how quickly it comes together. It's the perfect low-carb light dinner.
Asparagus can be a bit of a challenge to cook down, but the Instant Pot does it so quickly and easily that you can make a creamy soup in a fraction of the time it would take otherwise. There's no better way to make a great soup in nearly no time than to do it in an Instant Pot.
Other recipes may call for cooking the asparagus ahead of time or doing a far longer cook on the stovetop. With this recipe, you can have a nutritious, flavorful soup on the table when it takes the little ones to wrap up their homework -- or for you to warm some crusty bread and soften some butter to go on the side.
What can you add to easy asparagus soup in Instant Pot
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
- Olive oil - You can use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil or substitute any neutral oil like avocado oil or canola oil.
- Leeks - You’ll want to chop only the pale green and white part. Be sure that they’re uniform in size so that they cook evenly.
- Onion - Use a sharp knife to dice the onions into small pieces.
- Garlic - Mince the garlic cloves using a paring knife or Microplane. You can also use jarred minced garlic.
- Fresh asparagus - Using your hands, crack the ends off of the asparagus spears before chopping.
- Lemon zest - Use a microplane or cheese grater to zest a large lemon.
- Vegetable stock - Make your own or purchase it at the store. You can also substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Dried tarragon - Crumble the dried tarragon into the soup. You can also use other fresh herbs like thyme or basil.
- Salt and black pepper - Add as much of either ingredient to the soup as you like.
Tools used to make this creamy Instant Pot asparagus soup
"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
How to make asparagus this asparagus soup Instant Pot recipe
Heat olive oil in the Instant Pot on the recommended function. Add leeks, onion, and garlic to the oil and continue to saute.
Pour in chopped asparagus and cook briefly before adding lemon zest, broth, tarragon salt, and pepper. Stir all ingredients together before turning off the Instant Pot.
Close the lid and lock it before turning to the recommended temperature and pressure cook for the recommended time.
When the cooking time is complete, naturally release pressure for the recommended time before doing a quick release. Unlock and open the lid and let it rest for a minute o two.
Start blending with an immersion blender. Once the mixture is silky smooth, serve warm with garnishes like fresh herbs and olive oil.
Tips for the best creamy asparagus soup recipe
- For a thickier creamy asparagus soup, add one diced or shredded potato or three tablespoons of long-grain rice when you add the lemon zest.
- To do a natural release on the Instant Pot, you just leave the Instant Pot alone after the cooking time is complete.
- To do a quick release, turn the pressure valve to allow the pressure to escape.
- Use heavy cream, sour cream, or full-fat coconut milk to make a creamier and heartier Instant Pot cream of asparagus soup.
How long to cook asparagus cream soup in the instant pot
Overall, the cooking time for this soup is 25 minutes between sauteing vegetables and cooking the soup. It’s a healthy meal that’s incredibly easy to get on the dinner table.
What to serve with Instant Pot asparagus soup
- Bread - A crusty baguette and bread are amazing with this soup.
- Sandwich - Make a grilled cheese or veggie sandwich to serve alongside the soup.
- Salad - Serve a salad like this Air fryer artichoke salad on the side.
How to store and reheat cream of asparagus soup
After cooling to room temperature, store this delicious soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week. You can also store it in the freezer in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 6 months.
Reheat the soup on low heat or microwave in intervals.
FAQs about asparagus soup
There are so many herbs that pair well with asparagus soup. Solid choices include Dill, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano, and basil.
This instant pot asparagus soup is packed full of healthy nutrients from the asparagus itself and the stock and aromatics.
You can use the woody ends of the asparagus, but it tends to be tough. It’s better to break it off and use the rest of the asparagus.
You can absolutely freeze this instant pot asparagus soup! Keep it in a freezer-safe container or save space by putting it in a freezer bag and laying it flat in the freezer.
More Instant Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Instant Pot Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus
- Easy Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Zucchini Soup
- Easy Posole In The Instant Pot
- Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, pale green and white parts only, rinse and finely chop
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn on your instant pot and select the sautee function. Heat olive oil in the pot and add leeks, onion, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add chopped asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Add lemon zest, broth, tarragon salt, and pepper, and stir to blend. Turn off the instant pot. Close and lock the lid set the cooker on high pressure, and set the time for 5 minutes.
- Release pressure using the natural release method for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release. Unlock the lid. With an immersion blender on high speed, blend until creamy and smooth, or transfer the soup in batches to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- To make the soup thicker, add 3 tablespoons of long-grain rice or one potato diced or shredded, along with the lemon zest.
- The natural release method is when you do nothing after the time is up.
- Quick release is when you manually press or turn the release valve to release the pressure.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.