Instant pot quinoa burrito bowl is a healthy and delicious meal packed with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients that is perfect for those like you looking to add more balance to your diet.
This Instant Pot quinoa burrito bowl combines simple ingredients like veggies, protein, and beans with healthy quinoa for a flavorful lunch or dinner that is ready in less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
Making a quinoa chicken burrito bowl in the instant pot saves you more time than cooking it on the stovetop, and you don’t have to babysit the food while it’s cooking because the pressure cooker does all the hard work for you.
One of the main reasons you’ll love cooking in the instant pot is because it helps retain the nutrients in the ingredients, but when you cook a quinoa burrito bowl on the stovetop, some of the nutrients are lost due to evaporation. However, when you cook food in an instant pot, the steam is trapped inside, retaining all the nutrients making this quinoa burrito bowl recipe even healthier and more nutritious.
The next time you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe in which the high pressure of the Instant Pot does most of the work, try this simple instant pot chicken quinoa burrito bowl.
Ingredients you’ll need to make a burrito bowl in the pressure cooker
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
- Olive oil - Extra virgin olive oil is our favorite type to use, but you can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or avocado oil.
- Yellow onion - Dice the onion into small pieces. You can also use green onion, red onion, or white onion.
- Red bell pepper - You can use green bell peppers or yellow or orange, too.
- Garlic cloves - Mince the garlic cloves finely. You can also buy minced garlic or substitute garlic powder.
Before pressure cooking
- Boneless skinless chicken breast - Cut the chicken into small cubes. You can also substitute another meat like pork or make the dish vegetarian by leaving the chicken out or using your favorite plant-based substitute.
- Chili powder - This ingredient adds some heat to the dish. You can also use cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Cumin - Cumin imparts an earthy flavor to the dish.
- Salt and black pepper - You can use your table shakers of salt and pepper. Or you can grind the pepper fresh and use a salt you prefer (like sea salt).
- Diced tomatoes - You can use a plain can of tomatoes, or you can use a fire-roasted variety, or that has chiles.
- Corn - Both fresh corn and frozen work well with this recipe. Use any type of corn that you prefer.
- Cooked black beans - You can cook dried beans ahead of time or just use a can of beans that have been drained and rinsed. You can also swap out some or all of the black beans for another variety, like pinto beans.
- Chopped fresh cilantro - Coarsely chop the cilantro. If you do not like cilantro, replace it with parsley, Mexican oregano, or Thai basil.
- Quinoa - Be sure to rinse the quinoa thoroughly before preparing.
- Chicken broth - You can make or find your own chicken stock at the grocery store. You can also substitute with vegetable broth.
- Fresh salsa
- Sour cream
Tools used to make the recipe
"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
How to cook quinoa burrito bowls in an Instant Pot
Add olive oil to a preheated Instant Pot. Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
Once those ingredients have softened, add chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, corn, beans, cilantro, quinoa, and chicken broth.
Stir the ingredients so they are evenly dispersed.
Turn the Instant Pot off and close and lock the lid before setting the Instant Pot to the recommended time and function.
Use the natural release method to release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
Then, do a quick release and unlock the lid.
Use a fork to fluff quinoa.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
Tips for the best quinoa burrito bowls
Instant Pots will take up to 10 minutes for the pressure to build.
Try serving other toppings like pico de gallo, sliced roasted red peppers, a corn salsa, or crushed tortilla chips -- or try squeezing fresh lime juice over the top.
When sauteing, be sure to incorporate any brown bits that form in the bottom of the pot -- they're full of flavor.
Make sure to cut the chicken into cubed pieces for it to be cooked along with the other ingredients. Chicken should always be at 165 degrees Fahrenheit to be considered fully cooked.
How long to cook a quinoa burrito bowl in the Instant Pot
From start to finish, this recipe takes less than 20 minutes to prep and cook. Making it an easy recipe after a busy day.
What goes well with a burrito bowl
- Soup - Try a black bean soup or chickpea stew on the side.
- Chips - Serve tortilla chips with guacamole and salsa.
- Other sides - Try making a jicama slaw, yuca fries, or Mexican street corn.
How to store and reheat this quinoa bowl
Store instant pot quinoa burrito bowl leftovers in the refrigerator, in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Reheating leftovers is easy, which makes this burrito bowl perfect meal prep. Just pop it back into the Instant Pot or the microwave.
A burrito bowl has all of the ingredients you might find stuffed in a burrito but without the tortilla and sauce. It’s a great option for a healthier meal, and even healthier if you make an instant pot quinoa burrito bowl.
You can! You can use any kind of grain that you like.
Burrito bowls cut down on calories and carbs from the tortilla while keeping the nutrient-packed vegetables. Also, quinoa is packed full of essential amino acids.
More Instant Pot Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Chicken Tinga In The Instant Pot
- Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- The Easiest Instant Pot Quinoa
- The Most Delicious Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ cups cooked black beans, or (15 oz) can, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro,
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- Fresh salsa
- Sour cream
- Turn on your instant pot and select the sautee function. Heat olive oil in the pot and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, corn, beans, cilantro, quinoa, and chicken broth and stir to blend. Turn off the instant pot. Close and lock the lid set the cooker on high pressure, and set the time for 1 minute.
- Release pressure using the natural release method for 15 minutes, followed by a quick release. Unlock the lid when the floating valve has dropped. Fluff the quinoa with a fork, serve warm, and enjoy with the toppings of your choice.
- The instant pot takes around 10 minutes to build pressure.
- To make this instant pot recipe vegetarian, leave out the chicken and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze them for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Reheat the leftovers either way in the instant pot in the sautee setting or in the microwave.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 14gSugar: 7gProtein: 47g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.