These roasted chickpeas snack recipe is crispy, crunchy, nutty, and addicting.
Roasted chickpeas are healthy and make such a delicious snack! They are super easy to make. Plus, they are loaded with zinc, fiber, protein, and folate.
My kids and I LOVE chickpeas! We make crispy chickpeas all the time. I'm always changing seasoning since roasted chickpeas are healthy and versatile. Since I got the air fryer, I've been trying new flavors all the time, like these air fryer chickpeas.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THESE ROASTED CHICKPEAS SNACK:
You don't need many ingredients for these roasted chickpeas.
You only need:
- Cooked chickpeas (either canned or home-cooked) if you want to make your own try this recipe of instant pot chickpeas soaked and not-soaked
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- olive oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
You can find the ingredient list and the recipe instructions in the recipe box at the end of this post.
How to make roasted chickpeas snack
Making roasted chickpeas healthy is so easy. You only need five minutes of preparation and 20 minutes of baking, and you can season it with herbs or even nothings. But here is how I made these:
Step 1.Preheat oven to 425F. Pouf olive oil into a baking dish, place in the preheated oven.
Step 2. In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, olive oil, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well until the chickpeas are well coated
Step 3. Remove the baking sheet pan from the oven and pour the chickpea mixture into it.
Step 4. Spread the coated chickpeas into a single layer, roast for 10 minutes, then flip with the help of a spoon, continue to roast for around 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pat-dry the chickpeas as much as possible, using a pepper towel or dishtowel.
- Don't forget to use olive oil; that is what makes the healthy roasted chickpeas snack so crispy.
- If you want to add any extra seasoning or spices, wait until you pull them out of the oven; otherwise, the spices could be burned, and the roasted chickpeas became bitter.
- I'd recommend eating them while they are still warm because once they cool, they tend to be chewy, but always delicious.
Spices I love to add when not using cheese.
- Italian seasoning, no salt added
- Dry herbs like rosemary are one of my go-to
- Curry is a fantastic option
- Smoked paprika and chili powder are great options when you want some spiciness
Way to eat these healthy roasted chickpeas:
Here a few options you can add roasted chickpeas from snack to a meal
- Add them to a sandwich of pita bread
- Toss them to salad.
- Great for the taco filling
- Sprinkle over soup in place of croutons.
Where to store roasted chickpeas?
Let the roasted chickpeas cool to room temperature before storing them. You can save the roasted chickpeas in the refrigerator in a Tupperware with a lid to stay fresh.
How long roasted chickpeas last?
If you've decided to store them in an airtight container, the roasted chickpeas last up to a week. You can warm them up before eating, by toasting them in a hot pan for a few seconds or in the oven for a minute or so.
Can you roast canned chickpeas?
That precisely what I used to make this recipe, and they turned out super delicious. So the answer is yes, you can roast canned chickpeas.
How to know when roasted chickpeas are done?
Roasted chickpeas are done when golden and slightly darkened, crispy and dry on the outside, and soft in the middle.
How to make roasted chickpeas from dried chickpeas?
To make the healthy roasted chickpeas snack recipe using dried chickpeas, you need to soak them overnight in water; you don't need to cook the dried chickpeas, make sure you dry them thoroughly using pepper towel or dishtowel.
Some FAQS about chickpeas:
Are roasted chickpeas good for weight loss?
Chickpeas provide protein and fiber, both of which help you feel full, that is what makes chickpeas suitable for weight loss, and they don't contain saturated fats, either. But Chickpeas are not a magic bean, so you won't lose weight just eating chickpeas.
Is it Ok to eat chickpeas every day?
Eating chickpeas every day may not be so healthy. Fiber and protein are excellent as far as your body can assimilate it. But note excessive fiber or protein can lead to problems of indigestion like bloating, acidity and gas.
Are chickpeas proteins or carbs?
Chickpeas are made up of about 27 percent carbohydrates while ½ cup serving of chickpeas contains 6.99 grams of protein, 2 grams of fat and 20 grams of carbs.
Below you can see the nutrient facts for 130 grams canned chickpeas according to the USDA.
|Total lipid (fat)||2||g||3%|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||20||g||7%|
|Fiber, total dietary||5.98||g||24%|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||0||g|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||0||mg|
|Vitamin A, IU||0||IU|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||0||g|
|Fatty acids, total trans||0||g|
Are chickpeas keto?
As I mentioned above, chickpeas are high in carbs; with that said, if your goal is to enter into ketosis, then you should avoid them or be carefully limited. A reasonable limit for keto dieters is two tablespoons of chickpeas.
Can you eat chickpeas in a low carb diet?
How much chickpeas you can have depends on what diet you are in and what carb count you want to maintain. Chickpeas have fiber in them too, so net carbs aren't so bad, but they do contain carbohydrates.
Are chickpeas difficult to digest?
Like all legumes, chickpeas contain many components that make it challenging to digest called antinutrients. The function of antinutrients is to protect the grains until the moment of their germination, but you can remove it with a long soak.
Do roasted chickpeas cause gas?
When you consumed too many chickpeas, it could results in the formation of gas, giving an unpleasant feeling and results in bloating.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas, drained, rinse and patted dry
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- preheat oven on 425F
- Pour 1 Tablesppon of olive oil into a baking dish, place in the preheated oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, olive oil, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well until the chickpeas are well coated.
- Remove the baking sheet pan from the oven and pour the chickpea mixture into it.
- Spread the coated chickpeas into a single layer, roast for 10 minutes, then flip with the help of a spoon, continue to roast for around 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Pat-dry the chickpeas as much as possible, using a pepper towel or dishtowel.
2. Don't forget to use olive oil; that is what makes the healthy roasted chickpeas snack so crispy.
3. If you want to add any extra seasoning or spices, wait until you pull them out the oven; otherwise, the spices could be burned, and the roasted chickpeas became bitter.
4. I'd recommend eating them while they are still warm because once they cool, they tend to be chewy, but always delicious.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g