This amazingly easy air fryer chicken quesadilla recipe is ready in less than 20 minutes! Full of flavor, they are a healthy option for dinner or a quick lunch when you’re short of time or energy to make something more elaborate.
Air fryer chicken quesadilla is packed with fresh peppers, onion, chicken, and melted cheese wrapped in a crispy tortilla. All the taste of take-out Mexican food, without the added fat!
It’s quick and easy to make chicken quesadilla in air fryer; it’s probably faster than driving to your favorite Mexican restaurant for take-out! It tastes like a treat, but it’s also a great way to get an extra helping of veggies into your diet.
"As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
You’ll make this easy chicken quesadilla recipe using only ingredients you’ll be able to find easily in your local grocery store - no hunting for specialist spices that you’ll only use once!
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
Tools used to make the recipe.
How to make chicken quesadillas in air fryer
In a medium bowl, combine the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, olive oil, salt, and pepper, toss to coat.
Place an air fryer parchment paper sheet over the air fryer basket, add the veggies and cook to 380 for 8 minutes or until tender; add the chicken and cook until heated through about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a small bowl and remove the parchment paper from the basket.
Place the tortilla on a cutting board. Sprinkle cheese over half the tortilla, top with the vegetable mixture, add extra cheese, fold the tortilla half.
Carefully place the tortilla in the air fryer basket and cook to 350ºF for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through if the tortilla has lifted slightly away from the filling; press down firmly with a spatula.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cut in wedges to serve and enjoy!
How long to cook chicken quesadillas in air fryer
It takes less than twenty minutes to make this air fryer chicken quesadilla recipe!
You will need to cook the vegetables for around 8 minutes so that they are soft, and then for a further 2 minutes with the cooked chicken to warm it through. Then it will take another 8 minutes to cook the quesadillas once you have assembled them.
The cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer model, so always check that the vegetables have the consistency you like and that everything is warmed through.
What goes well with quesadillas
This crispy chicken quesadilla is absolutely incredible served up with your favorite sauce for dipping.
I like to serve it with this healthy black bean and corn salsa, a pot of guacamole, or some sour cream.
How to store chicken quesadillas
These air fryer chicken quesadillas are already the perfect speedy meal to make ahead for the week!
You can make the vegetable and chicken filling ahead of time and store it in the fridge so that all you need to do is put the quesadillas together and cook them in the air fryer.
If you do this, store the filling in an airtight container, keeping it in the fridge for up to four days.
You can also store the quesadillas after they have been cooked. They will keep the fridge for up to four days and the freezer for around two months.
If you’re going to store quesadillas, be sure to store them in layers, separated by wax paper to avoid them sticking together. Always keep them in an airtight container.
How to reheat quesadillas
In the air fryer (recommended):
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Lay the quesadilla in the air fryer basket.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes if heating from room temperature or 5 minutes from frozen.
In the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put the quesadilla on it.
- Heat the quesadilla for around 10 minutes until the tortilla is crisp. If you are heating from frozen, you will need to defrost thoroughly first.
In the microwave:
- Put the quesadilla on a microwave-safe plate, and cover it with a damp paper towel (preventing it from drying out).
- Heat on high for 30 seconds.
- Check to see if it’s heated through. If not, continue heating in 10-second intervals.
In a skillet:
- Heat the skillet over medium heat (you shouldn’t need any oil).
- Put the quesadilla in and heat for one minute.
- Flip over and heat for another minute.
Whichever method you use, always check that the quesadilla is heated all the way through before serving.
I’ve used Monterey Jack cheese for this air fryer quesadilla recipe because it melts beautifully and has a mild flavor that complements the vegetables and chicken.
You could also try using Mexican cheese if you want to add a little extra spice or Mozzarella if you want that luxurious stretchy finish. If you have them, try using a combination of the three!
The combination of chicken, onion, red bell pepper, and zucchini in this air fryer quesadilla recipe is classic! The fresh flavored veggies complement the succulent chicken well.
If you’d like to make a vegetarian quesadilla, you could try substituting the chicken for mushrooms, black beans, or a ‘mock’ chicken.
You could also try different colored peppers to alter the flavor, and tomatoes and corn are great additions.
More Air Fryer Recipes to try
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air fryer Corn on the Cob
- Shrimp in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chilaquiles
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Tortilla Chips in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Smoked Salmon Taquitos
- Air Fryer Cheese Quesadilla Recipe
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 2 whole-wheat tortillas
- Combine the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, olive oil, salt, and pepper toss in a medium bowl to coat.
- Place an air fryer parchment paper sheet over the air fryer basket, add the veggies and cook to 380 for 8 minutes or until tender. Add the chicken and cook until heated for about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a small bowl and remove the parchment paper from the basket.
- Place the tortilla on a cutting board. Sprinkle with cheese over half the tortilla, top with the vegetable mixture add extra cheese; fold the tortilla half.
- Carefully place the tortilla in the air fryer basket and cook to 350ºF for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through if the tortilla has lifted slightly away from the filling, press down firmly with a spatula.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, cut in wedges to serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 908Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 227mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 66g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.