Air Fryer Mahi Mahi combines succulent Mahi Mahi fish with a lightly spiced crispy coating, a wonderful mix of textures and flavors. Plus, it has only two ingredients and it’s ready in under fifteen minutes!
You’ll love this air fryer Mahi Mahi recipe if you are looking for a healthy dinner that’s big on flavor, easy to prepare, and doesn’t take long to make. It’s perfect as a speedy midweek meal and simple to make for large groups.
This Mahi Mahi recipe is the perfect combination of the sweet taste and the gorgeous flaky texture of the fish with a little bit of heat with the taco seasoning. This fish is full of healthy Omega 3 fats, but it’s much leaner than fish like salmon or sardines making it a good option for those of you who are on a health kick!
"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
You only need two ingredients to make air-fried Mahi Mahi:
- Mahi Mahi fillet. Either fresh or frozen is fine, but if you are using frozen make sure that you thaw them completely before you start cooking. See below for details on how to safely defrost Mahi Mahi.
- Taco seasoning. Use your favorite kind of taco seasoning to make your Mahi Mahi as mild or spicy as you like! If you don’t have taco seasoning you can create your own by combining spices like paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion powder, oregano, sugar and salt.
You’ll also need a little cooking spray or olive oil for cooking.
Find the list of ingredients along with detailed instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make Mahi Mahi in the air fryer
- Begin by patting the fish dry with a paper towel.
- Then, brush or spritz the Mahi Mahi with olive oil and roll it in your seasoning. Make sure that you cover both sides evenly.
- When your fish is seasoned, place it in the air fryer basket and cook to 400°F for 10 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- That’s it! Serve and enjoy!
Air fried fish is best when served straight after cooking, so don’t wait too long to start eating it!
The Mahi Mahi internal temp should be 137°F for it to be safe to eat. You can check this by using an instant meat thermometer.
How to defrost Mahi Mahi
To defrost your fish, ensure that it is wrapped in vacuum sealed packaging - most fish you buy will come like this. If you take the fish out of the packaging to defrost it, it can become waterlogged, spoiling the taste.
Take your fish package, place it in a dish, and then fill the dish with cold water from the tap. Do not use warm or hot water as this will heat the fish too quickly.
Leave your fish to soak in the cold water for 15-20 minutes.
And it will now be defrosted enough to start cooking.
How long to cook Mahi Mahi in air fryer
It takes around 10 minutes to cook Mahi Mahi in air fryer. You must cook it for long enough that the fish fillet internal temp is 137°F, as this is the temperature where it is safe to eat.
Be careful though, you also don’t want to cook it for too long because this can dry out the fish, and you’ll lose some of the succulent texture and delicious flavor.
How to cook frozen mahi mahi in air fryer
Place fish in the air fryer basket, spritz with olive oil and season. Air fry to 400ºF for 8 minutes, flip, spritz with olive oil and season; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the mahi mahi is done to your liking.
Mahi mahi is safe to eat when an instant meat thermometer registers 137ºF.
What to serve with Mahi Mahi
I often make this easy Mahi Mahi recipe because there are so many different ways to serve it!
- Mahi Mahi tacos. Tacos are a favorite in my house! Simply flake the air fried Mahi Mahi using a fork, and serve them wrapped in a warm almond flour tortilla with slaw, salsa and avocado. If you want them to be extra delicious, try making a batch of black bean and corn salsa to go with them!
- Mahi sandwich. Serve your fish fillet in a roll along with crisp lettuce, fresh tomato and smashed avocado.
- With salad. Air fryer Mahi Mahi is fabulous served with a simple salad, like this massaged kale and apple salad.
- With roasted veggies. There’s something special about fish with a plate full of your favorite crunchy roasted veg!
- With mashed cauliflower and brussels sprouts. Whip up some instant pot mashed cauliflower and a batch of air fryer brussels sprouts to go with your Mahi Mahi for a speedy and impressive feast.
How to store Mahi Mahi
You can store cooked Mahi Mahi either in the fridge or the freezer.
- To store in the fridge, either wrap your fish in plastic wrap or seal in shallow airtight containers and ensure that you refrigerate them within two hours of cooking. Mahi Mahi will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To freeze Mahi Mahi, seal it in heavy-duty freezer bags, shallow airtight plastic containers, or wrap in freezer wrap. Freeze within 2 hours of cooking. It will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to reheat air fryer Mahi Mahi
You can reheat refrigerated or frozen Mahi Mahi in air fryer.
Begin by preheating the air fryer to 400°F for about 5 minutes. Then, lightly coat the fish with oil and add to the air fryer. Be sure to add the Mahi Mahi fillets in a single layer as this ensures they heat evenly.
- For refrigerated Mahi Mahi, cook in the air fryer for around 6 minutes, being sure to flip halfway through.
- For frozen Mahi Mahi, increase the time by 5 minutes to 15 minutes. But, again, ensure that you flip halfway through.
Check that it has been reheated thoroughly by using a meat thermometer.
Best way to cook Mahi Mahi
The air fryer is the best way I’ve found to cook Mahi Mahi.
It’s by far the quickest cooking method, and because it cooks so quickly, it means that the flesh stays nice and juicy while the outside gets a nice crisp finish.
Best seasoning for Mahi Mahi
I love the taco seasoning with the Mahi Mahi because the spicy flavors combine so well with the taste of the fish.
You could also try using different seasonings and follow this method. Some seasonings that go particularly well with Mahi Mahi are:
- Garlic, capers and parsley. Once cooked, squeeze over some lemon juice.
- Simple salt and pepper.
- Chilli flakes - served with a squeeze of lime juice.
Tools used to make the recipe
More air fryer seafood recipes
- AIR FRYER FISH STICKS RECIPE
- Easy AIR FRYER FISH NUGGETS RECIPE
- AIR FRYER TUNA STEAKS RECIPE WITH LIME DIPPING SAUCE
- Best AIR FRYER SALMON (INSTANT POT AIR FRYER LID)
- SMOKED SALMON TAQUITOS IN THE AIR FRYER RECIPE
- AIR FRYER HALIBUT RECIPE (PISTACHIOS CRUSTED)
- Air Fryer Swordfish Steaks Recipe
- 2 (6 oz.) mahi-mahis, fresh or thawed.
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- Cooking spray, olive oil
- Pat dries the fish with a paper towel; brush or spritz the mahi mahis with olive oil; season with the taco seasoning on both sides.
- Place the fish in the air fryer basket and cook to 400ºF for 10 minutes turning halfway through or until opaque and easily flakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Air fried fish is best when served straight after cooking, so don’t wait too long to start eating it!
- The Mahi Mahi internal temp should be 137°F for it to be safe to eat. You can check this by using an instant meat thermometer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.