In under 30 minutes, you’ll have a family dinner with this easy air fryer chicken thighs bone in skin on r
The Air fryer is the perfect way to cook bone in skin on chicken thighs for extra crispy skin without using the oven or deep frying.
Making air fryer bone-in skin-on chicken thighs is very simple, and you get crispy chicken thighs on the outside while still being juicy on the inside.
This air fryer chicken recipe is perfect for meal prep for a quick lunch or dinner.
In this blog post, you’re going to learn how to cook crispy skin chicken thighs using the air fryer and how to store it in the fridge or freezer and how to reheat chicken thighs in the air fryer.
Ingredients you need
Find the list of ingredients with the instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to make chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on in air fryer
Making any kind of meat in the air fryer is easy and convenient for many air fryer users. This chicken thighs recipe is easy to make, and it tastes amazingly delicious.
The print version of this recipe includes the list of ingredients and instructions at the end of this post. But here is a summary of the steps.
- Seasoning and air frying: Pat chicken dry with a paper towel, place the chicken in a large bowl, and season with garlic, sage, rosemary, butter, salt, and pepper, toss to combine. Place the chicken thighs skin side down in the air fryer basket and cook to 380º F.
How long to cook bone in air fryer chicken thighs
Cook chicken thighs for 12
When is done
Insert the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken thighs without touching the bone and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF as recommended by the USDA.
What to serve with chicken thighs bone-in skin-on
How to store air fried chicken thighs
Store the chicken thighs in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To Store in the fridge
Store the air-fried bone in chicken thighs in the fridge in an airtight container within 2 hours of cooking to avoid bacteria growth. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Store in the Freezer
To avoid bacteria growth, store the thighs within 2 hours of cooking in a freezer bag label with the date and name. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat crispy chicken thighs
The best options to reheat meat that’s still on the bone are the air fryer or the oven. You can warm up the thighs without changing the flavor of the meat pretty quickly. You can reheat them in the microwave, but the skin won’t get crispy, and the chicken won’t taste the same.
Below are the instructions to reheat chicken thighs bone-in skin-on using either the air fryer or the oven.
Reheat in the air fryer
Reheating chicken thighs in the air fryer is as easy as cooking them in the air fryer. Add the leftover chicken thighs inside the air fryer basket and reheat to 400ºF for 3-5 minutes. You don’t need to preheat the air fryer, but if you do preheat the air fryer, reheat for 2-3 minutes.
Reheat in the oven
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish or sheet pan, add a couple of spoons of water to cover with foil. Transfer to the oven and reheat until the chicken thighs reach an internal temperature of 165ºF. Remove the foil set to broil to get the skin nice and crispy.
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
Click the links below to see or buy the items used to make this recipe
Air fryer. Perfect for making fried food with little to no oil and also gives you the convenience of a small convection oven.
Mixing bowls. This set has a cover, which makes it double function as a mixing bowl and storage container.
Instant Meat Thermometer: Takes the temperature in just 2 to 3 seconds.
More poultry air fryer recipes you’ll love
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders no breading
- Easy Air Fryer Cornish Hens
- Turkey tenderloin skewers
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 ½ lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel, place the chicken in a large bowl, and season with garlic, sage, rosemary, butter, salt, and pepper, toss to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket with skin side down; cook to 380ºF for 12 minutes each side or until an instant meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken without touching the bone register 165ºF
- Serve chicken thigs with your side dishes of choice.
Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 252Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.