Air fryer flank steak is beautifully juicy in the middle and perfectly browned on the outside. Even if you’re new to the air fryer, you’re guaranteed a meal that will impress with this recipe.
If you haven’t tried air fryer flank steak yet, you’re in for a treat. Air frying means your steak cooks evenly, unlike grilling or cooking in a skillet, where some parts cook more quickly than others. Cooking with hot air also seals in the natural juices and flavors of the meat for a more tender mouthful.
Another great thing about cooking flank steak in air fryer is the clean-up. It’s so easy. No more scrubbing spatter off your stovetop; just take out the basket and wash it.
This juicy flank steak recipe air fryer uses jerk seasoning, which gives it a spicy note and is slightly sweet and earthy. It's incredibly delicious in the colder months when we all need warming up.
Ingredients you’ll need to make flank steak easy
**Find the full list of ingredients along with the recipe instructions at the end of this post**
Flank steak: You can find flank steak in most grocery stores or butchers; it’s very similar to skirt steak, except it has a lower fat content. Be sure to buy steaks of equal thickness throughout to ensure even cooking.
Olive oil: Use extra light olive oil for making flank steak in air fryer as it has a higher smoke point.
Jamaican jerk seasoning: If you don’t have this on hand, make it yourself from paprika, garlic powder, allspice, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Alternatively, try using Baharat instead - it has warming flavors but less spice.
Tools used to make the recipe
"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases"
How to cook flank steak in air fryer
Begin by preheating the air fryer to 400°F - this should take about five minutes.
While the fryer is heating, use paper towels to pat dry the flank steak on both sides. Then, rub oil all over the steak and massage in the seasoning on both sides.
Place the seasoned steak into the air fryer basket and cook for six minutes. Then, flip the steak and cook for up to four minutes on the other side, depending on how well done you like your steak.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature:
- 130°F is medium rare
- 140°F is medium
- 150°F is medium well
- 160°F is well done
Remove the flank steak air fryer and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- When preparing your steak, cut it against the grain. Going against the grain will make it tender rather than chewy.
- Due to its low-fat content, you don’t need to trim flank steak as you do with other kinds of steak.
- Ideally, remove your steak from the fridge with enough time to reach room temperature before cooking - this will make the meat softer.
- If you want your steak to be extra tender, use a meat tenderizing hammer before cutting it.
- To use a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the meat and avoid hitting any bone or gristle, as this can affect the reading. The USDA has a detailed guide on using food thermometers with more information.
How long to cook flank steak in an air fryer?
It takes seven to ten minutes to cook flank steak in air fryer, depending on how well done you like it. Cook for six minutes on one side and then for up to four on the other.
Use a meat thermometer to check whether the steak is ready: 130°F for medium rare, 140°F for medium, 150°F for medium well and 160°F for well done.
What to serve with flank steak
- Air fryer potato cubes
- Air fryer smashed potato
- Air fryer garlic green beans
- Air fryer artichoke salad
How to store leftover air-fried flank steak
If you haven’t cooked your flank steak yet, you can store it in the fridge for three to five days and in the freezer for nine to twelve months.
If you have leftover cooked air fryer flank steak, storing it in the fridge for three to four days and in the freezer for two to six months is safe.
Always seal food in an airtight container before moving to the fridge or freezer, and be sure not to leave it out at room temperature for any longer than two hours.
Look at this cold food storage chart from foodsafety.gov for more information on storing leftovers safely.
How to reheat flank steak in air fryer
To reheat flank steak in air fryer, heat the basket to 360°F and put the steak in for two to three minutes.
Leave it to stand for five minutes before serving to make the meat more tender.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the steak has reached an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
- The air fryer is the best way to reheat steak because air frying won’t dry it out like other methods.
What is flank steak?
Flank steak is not technically a steak - it’s a versatile cut of meat that is low in fat and comes from the cow's abdominal muscle.
It can be tough if not prepared correctly, but it’s incredibly flavorful and perfect for any meal which calls for strips of steak.
It’s also inexpensive and perfect for feeding a large family or group.
How to cut flank steak?
To ensure tenderness, you should always cut against the meat's grain when cutting flank steak. If you go with the grain, you risk it becoming chewy.
Is flank steak the same as skirt steak?
No, but it is similar, and you can substitute them for each other. Skirt steak is slightly fattier and cut from the diaphragm rather than the abdomen. It’s also richer in flavor.
You should cut skirt steak against the meat's grain, like flank steak.
How to make flank steak tender?
Cooking flank steak in air fryer will make it more tender, as the hot air seals in the meat's natural juices. Rubbing the meat with olive oil before cooking will moisten it and make it tender.
You may also want to use a meat tenderizing hammer before cooking your steak to break down the connective tissue.
What do you use flank steak for?
Air fryer flank steak is perfect for any dish with strips of meat. Try it in fajitas, rice bowls, stir-fries, or served alongside air-fried potatoes and vegetables.
More air fryer Steak Recipes
- Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
- Air Fryer NY Strip Steak
- T-bone Steak in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Porterhouse Steak
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Beef And Broccoli in the Air Fryer
- Fajitas Steak In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Marinated Steak
- 12 oz flank steak
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry the flank steak on both sides with paper towels, rub oil all over the steak, and rub the seasoning mixture on all sides.
- Place the flank steak in the air fryer basket and air fry to 400ºF for 6 minutes on one side and up to 4 minutes on the other side or until cooked to your liking using an instant meat thermometer *see notes below for the internal temperature*.
- Remove the flank steak from the air fryer basket and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- For medium rare 130ºF
- For medium 140ºF
- Medium well 150ºF
- Well done 160ºF
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 167mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on products used. When the recipe list salt to taste the amount of salt is not calculated, only the sodium in the other ingredients is calculated.